Academy Public Policy Activities and Resources
Support development of a November webinar on how to advocate for public health nutrition. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please contact Alicia Grove, PHCNPG PAL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay informed through the Academy's policy updates
- Sign up for a Weekly Newsletter: The Academy sends outs a weekly newsletter with valuable updates on the policies that impact our profession. if you would like to be added to the Public Policy Weekly News (PPWN) distribution list, please email Courtney Doby.
- Get Text Action Alert Updates from the Academy: To stay connected with the Academy’s important action alerts and legislative updates, text "eatright" to 50457 to enroll in text alerts. You may also opt in by marking the “Send me text alerts” box whenever you take an action alert. If you previously marked this box you are already subscribed and do not need to sign up again.
- Visit the News Center: Read the latest news center articles on policy, advocacy, and regulatory comments from the Academy.
Latest News from the Hill
Find the latest action alerts from the Academy here. Both Academy membes and nonmembers can take action.
Current Action Alerts (10/14/2020)
- Support Access to Healthy Food and Nutrition Services: Americans need immediate relief from the rising rates of food insecurity and continued economic stress exacerbated by the COVID-19 national emergency. COVID-19 has disproportionately impacted communities of color—already at greatest risk for food insecurity and diet related health disparities. No major stimulus legislation aimed at addressing food insecurity and nutrition services has passed since the CARES Act was signed into law in March. Recently, the U.S. House of Representatives passed an updated HEROES Act COVID-19 relief package which maintains key nutrition priorities introduced in the original bill back in May. The Academy urges members of the Senate to pass a stimulus relief bill that includes these critical provisions.
- Support Malnutrition Awareness Week and the MNT Act: Introduced by U.S. Sens. Chris Murphy (Conn.) and Chuck Grassley (Iowa), S.Res. 716 designates October 5 to October 9 as Malnutrition Awareness Week and acknowledges RDNs for their efforts to prevent malnutrition. In addition, the resolution supports emergency funding for federal nutrition programs to address malnutrition. The Medical Nutrition Therapy Act (S. 4504) provides coverage through Medicare Part B for MNT for people with malnutrition, unintentional weight loss and many other chronic conditions. This resolution and bill impact our profession and our communities. Please take five minutes to complete this action alert today. Every member’s participation is important in reaching the Academy’s public policy goals.
Page Updated: October 16, 2020